January 7, 2013

Liz makes a dreamcatcher

I've seen plenty of dreamcatcher tutorials on the internet. One of my favorites is this one. I decided to try and replicate it with things I already had in the house.



For my version, you'll need:
-a macrame hoop
-yarn
-a crochet hook
-scissors
-craft feathers


I bought the macrame hoop a few months back at a craft store for $1.50, and the doily around the same time for a dollar or less. The craft feathers were originally on some hideous earrings.



Wrap some yarn or single crochet around the whole hoop. I chose to crochet, only because it doesn't get tangled nearly as easily.


 When finished, tie the start with the end in a double knot. Grab your doily. Make sure it's able to stretch a bit.


Place the doily in the center of the hoop and tie four corners, using double knots. Then stretch the rest of the doily, tying double knots as you go. The reason for doing this is creating even tension throughout.


Cut off your ties and tie some longer yarn around the bottom of the hoop.


Add a string to the top so it's able to hang. At this point, if you have craft feathers, tie them on as well.


Now it's ready to hang!




Now you have yourself a pretty simple dreamcatcher. I loved creating this, because there's no way I could really mess it up. You can add all sorts of things and be creative. Have fun and sweet dreams!

Love, Liz

27 comments:

  1. I love dreamcatchers!! This one is really beautiful!!! =)

    Ergo - Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how it came out! I have a dreamcatcher in my car :)

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh amazing, u r so talented! Do you want to follow each other on gfc and fb? Kiss

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow beautiful!!!

    Would you like to follow each other? Let me know!

    The Fashion Heels
    Facebook
    Bloglovin
    Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm so excited i found your blog today. one, this is the coolest DIY ever and i've already passed it along to two people. two, i love your about section and i think we're going to be fast friends in the blogosphere. your style is cute and, like me, your wallet is empty, but you're creative and not afraid to make what you can't buy. love that.

    looking forward to following along, pretty girl!
    xo
    writeslikeagirlblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe, thanks so much for the nice comment! I'd love to keep in touch.
      Liz

      Delete
  6. such an easy thing but I never thought of making my own - love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it really is. You should totally make your own!
      Liz

      Delete
  7. this is so beautiful! i love the idea of a doily in the center! i'm following :)
    ~niki <3
    http://youngandimmortal.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so cute!! I want to make one now. I just need to see if I have the material.
    Carlee
    Almost Endearing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! If you do, let me know how it turns out!
      Liz

      Delete
  9. I LOVE dream catchers. This is awesome! love your blog, I'll certainly follow :)

    xoxo
    juliettelaura
    http://juliettelaura.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for posting over on my blog. This dream catcher is super cute. I love how you used a doily. Actually, I love all your crafts that you have here. How creative! The recipes look great too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, it's so colorful! I love the red with turquoise!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really love the idea of the doily in the middle! So cute! Is that how you spell doily?! Haha, cute blog!

    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love this so much and am planning on trying it out this weekend. how did you attach the feathers? i am not super crafty so i hope i can make one that looks pretty too!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from you!