March 16, 2013

Liz makes an apple pie

For March 14th, otherwise known as Pi Day, my mom and I made an apple pie with the Pi symbol cut out of the pastry dough. I think it's clever and it was delicious served al a Mode. This is probably one of the harder recipes I've made here on this blog, but it's not too difficult. Here's the recipe:
Ingredients for the pastry dough:
3 cups flour*
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup ice water
(*plus more for rolling out the dough)

Ingredients for the apple filling:
6 apples
2 cups sugar
cinnamon to taste

In a bowl, prepare your pastry dough by mixing all of the ingredients except for the ice water into a bowl with a pastry cutter. Slowly add in the ice water (without the ice of course) and mix some more. Eventually, mix with your hands until it reaches dough consistency. Roll it out with a rolling pin, making it really thin. Place it in your pie pan by folding it in fourths and then unfolding it in the pan.
Peel and dice your apples into small pieces and place them in a separate bowl. Mix the cinnamon and sugar along with the diced apples.
Roll out more dough for the top part of the pie. I cut out the pi symbol with a knife, but you can also do a lattice or any other pie topping. Place it over the top and pinch the two pie crust pieces together. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes. Enjoy!

Have a great weekend!
Love, Liz

13 comments:

  1. Wow that's very, very clever Liz! Apple pie is one of the only fruit pies that I will eat, and it truly is delicious al a mode!

    http://ahemitsemme.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily! It's the only fruit pie I like too and this one was quite the best apple pie I've ever had! Fantastic al a mode.
      Liz

      Delete
  2. So funny! Apple pie is my absolute favorite!
    xoxo
    Juliette Laura
    juliettelaura.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Juliette! I thought so. Apple pie is my favorite too! ..Right after peanut butter pie of course. I'll have to make that one next!
      Liz

      Delete
  3. I had pie on pie day too! (it was chocolate pie though) Apple pie is so delicious.

    xxLiora
    i-wasnt-there.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha awesome! I love having pie on pi day! Thanks for stopping by, Liora!
      Liz

      Delete
  4. Looks yummy. I only eat chocolate pie but it seem yummy to try :)
    Areeba @ Aree With Umbrella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I like chocolate pie too, but this was probably better than any chocolate pie I've ever had!
      Liz

      Delete
  5. I'm an awful pie maker! But I do love to eat it.

    7% Solution​

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it would have come out as nice if my mom didn't help! :)
      Liz

      Delete
  6. Haha! This is funny, once for my math class we celebrated pi day, so instead of making a pie, i made cupcakes that looked like miniture pies using frosting and mm's. My class loved them! Thanks for the recipe looks fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from you!